What Really Grinds My Gears


You know what really grinds my gears?

Idiot drivers on surface streets.  

Now let's not get this confused with the one I did last month.  That was about freeway and turnpike drivers.  This time I'm talking about city streets.

When on city streets, too many of these morons either whiz down the road or they crawl along like an Asian guy looking for an address.  I mean if the sign says 40 mph then lets boost it to 40 miles an hour and stop stalling.  Now if you creep up to 45 mph, that's okay.  Everybody goes a little over the speed limit.  But when you zoom down main street 20 miles above the limit, you're very likely to kill yourself, someone else, or worse - you might kill ME!

Then there's the stop lights.  I really hate it when the people at the front of the line don't move when the light changes.  They're sleeping, on the phone, off in the ozone, or generally distracted by something they shouldn't be doing - and that includes trying to settle down a fussy child or baby.  If your kid is causing a problem, pull over to the damn side of the road and deal with it, but don't make the rest of us wait.  We all have places to go and things to do and we don't want to be delayed by someone else's kid.

Another thing that irks me is elderly drivers.  If you're too infirmed to drive at a reasonable speed, then you shouldn't be driving at all.  In many cases as a person ages, there comes a time when he or she just has to hang up those keys for the sake of themselves and others.  You'll just have to call Uber or some similar service if you need to go somewhere.  The other reason the elderly drive slowly is what I like to call "Retired Person's Mentality".  They're retired and they have much more time than those of us who still work, and they figure, "No hurry.  I've got plenty of time."  Well maybe you do, but I don't.  I have things to do and I don't want to spend my time traveling from point A to B to C.  I've got better things to do.  Well, not necessarily better, but let's say preferable.  I once got to make that little speech in a traffic school class that had a few elderly drivers.  I doubt it did any good, but at least I got it off my chest.

Finally, I really hate those stupid "Baby On Board" signs people put in their windows.  I thought we'd seen the last of them in the 80's.  They were gone for awhile, but now they're back.  I just want to ask one question to anyone who is reading this and has one of those signs in their window:  Okay, you have a baby in the car.  So what?  Am I supposed to drive extra carefully because of it?  Not this horse bub.  I drive in the same manner if there's a baby in a nearby car or not.  If you want your kid to be safe, then leave him or her at home.  I don't like being inconvenienced by other people's kids.  Next week I'll expand on this when I talk about restaurants.

That's what grinds my gears this week.

Dan 88!

Comments

  1. I remember when those "baby on board" stickers were all the rage with new breeders, and had a true belly laugh one day when I saw a pickup truck driver that had had enough, and had a 2" x 4" propped up on a stand in the bed of his truck, with a Cabbage Patch baby doll nailed to it with a huge 8 inch nail. There's a true "baby on board" for you! Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol damn it son! take a deep breath and let it go! but i do understand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a deep breath? That's easy for you to say, Hoss. You don't live in California. Our freeways are clogged most of the time, and there's so much street traffic it's not uncommon to wait three cycles to get through a stoplight.

      When I'm driving from one job site to another, there's so many cars I can't help but wonder, who the hell are all these people, where are they going, and why aren't they at work? Am I the only one who needs to work, for crissakes?!

      Add to that, once Time Magazine rated Californians as the worst and rudest drivers on the road. A well-deserved honor, if you ask me!

      Dan 88!

      Delete

Post a Comment